--fish this--

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

All Fish All The Time

Most folks might be asking" how can a person have something fishy to say day in and day out." O.K.- maybe you're not asking, but I'm going to tell you anyway. It's not about the fish--or the fishing for that matter. For me fishing is a backdrop, a thing to be doing while you are developing personal relationships. Kind of like being at a baseball game with some friends, golfing, or knitting. I just like the sounds and smells of the river more than the smell of grass(not to mention the frustration of golf) or the loud heckler at the baseball game.
I have learned more about people and friendships while dangling a worm or casting a fly, then I ever have in any other setting. Throughout history it is the same. Many of the disciples were fishermen, and I think they had quite a bit to say and learn about while casting about nets. One of Ernest Hemingways greatest novels is centered around a fisherman and his epic battle with a fish. Of course it is not the battle with the fish that is important, it is the nature of man and human spirit that we learn about. Don't get me wrong, it's great and exciting to catch a fish, and I get really excited when I get to outwit a species with a brain the size of a PEA !! But, like I said,it's the idle time between casts or the catching, and the time afterwards that you really get to connect with another human.

I think that's important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home