--fish this--

Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Perfect Storm

Last night, the Southern Oregon skies were lit up with an incredible lightshow. For those located in the midwest, where tornados and thunderstorms are common it would probably be no big deal, but to us candy rumped westerners it was the mother of all storms.

The lightning began to crackle about four-thirty last night and as soon as I finished waxing my car(of course) all heckif iknow broke loose. The storm seemed to gain strength and at one a.m. I finally gave up and decided to watch natures light show. It was like trying to sleep in a bowling alley with the "paparazzi" clicking off flash after flash of the camera!! By four thirtyin the morning the whole family--dogs included- were all sheltered in the same bed trying to form some impervious covey of safety. I swear it was hitting our house, and my fillings rattled every 2 seconds as the next bolt roared to life.

This all reminded me of a backpacking trip in the high Sierras, when we had a similar situation-only that storm was at 12,000 feet!! I remember huddling in my newly purchased 1 man tent and wishing I had taken the time to SEAL the seams. Not that sealed seams would offer much protection from 15,000,000 volts of mother natures power plant, but when you are cowaring in a pup tent at 12,000 feet you think goofy thoughts.

1 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Carp Master said...

Ahhh camping in the Northwest...wet wood,goretex,plenty of tarps,and extra clothing for every weather condition...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home